23 June 2011

Flint: Post Script


Hello loves,

Forgive me for the delay, but it's safe to say that my blogging of Flint will be an ongoing dialogue, spanning many an entry.

My trip to Flint and Detroit was one where my mind did no thinking, only perception and reaction.

Kat and I land in Detroit Metropolitan Airport to be greeted by person after person asking if we were here for the Electronic Music Festival, where we passed throngs of pre-teens in high socks, headbands and acid colors keds roaming the streets.

We took that as our cue to begin a series of guerilla photo shoots, featuring my reciclaGEM with Kat's dSLR lens, with moss covered buildings, weed-filled alleyways, and the historic Michigan Central Station as our backdrop.

It was a romantic mix of aged architecture and urban flora. Flint and Detroit were strangely beautiful in a way that an artist could become consumed with the romantic decay, but must remind herself not to forget the economic and social influences that forced it to be that way.

So let us get to the people and the site visit that was our true impetus behind the trip. The Flint Ecological Urbanism Project evolved before my eyes during a BBQ (with even some vegan options!) hosted with the purpose of bringing together Flint city creatives and non-Flint artists (like Kat and I) to meet and see what creative partnerships could be had.

We chatted, introduced ourselves, exchanged some positive vibrations, and, before I knew it, the project had been renamed as the"Flint Public Art Project," with an off-shoot known as FLOW, an artist exchange currently looking for beautiful creatives (like you) to work with.

In a lot ways, I got on a plane to find myself in McCarren Park in Greenpoint-Williamsburg, in the midst of a community of free-flowing creatives, nomadic artists, and organically beautiful minds. Flint, and other cities like it, are not that much different from Brooklyn in terms of its artistry. It's just a city that needs more hands to help shape the post-Vehicle City identity it is forming.

Stay tuned for photos and some new photo-printed inspired pieces.

'brigada for your patience :)

2 comments:

  1. "strangely beautiful in a way that an artist could become consumed with the romantic decay..." you got it! I'm looking forward to working on the project soon! ~michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment! So glad it resonated. I struggled to find the words to express that glaring observation/revelation. And I definitely look forward to working with you as well.

    ReplyDelete