02 June 2012

Natural Body Textiles: Hair

If you've been perusing nytimes.com or the commonplace Facebook newsfeed, I'm quite certain you've seen the op-ed film piece by filmmaker Zina Saro-Wiwa, "Transition." While not conventionally eco-fashion oriented, this touches another eco-style point that has made a measurable impact on both my artistry and my relationship with myself...transitioning to natural*hair.

We can talk all day about the sizing agents, dye chemicals, and other such toxic waste that we put into our fabrics and oceans, but how often do we talk about the lye aka. sodium hydroxide and other equally lethal sizing agents that so many women put inside their bodies?!

I was one of them...Synthetic hair braids, relaxers, lye relaxers that sent me to the dermatologist (in an attempt to save money!), weaves that made heads turn as I pranced down these Western streets, etc. The list could go on and on...until in January 2009, I made the decision to cut off all my hair and start my locs.




That was the best decision of my life. That opened the doors in my mind to natural, earth-amicable living, living with the beautiful, curly textile of my scalp and the natural textiles of my garments, the food in my diet, and fostering love and peacebility in my heart.




Yes, we can talk about eco-textiles until pig flies, but until more women, and men, start embracing the natural textures and weaves of their own bodies, such talk would only be in chemical-Roulette vain.

Please watch this. Even if you have natural(ly straight, curly, bald) hair. It will help make this narrative even more so complete.



Peace, love, and texture,
T*


No comments:

Post a Comment